Vizag or Visakhapatnam is the largest city in Andhra Pradesh and lies at the coast of Bay of Bengal, India. It is also known as the Financial Capital of the state. The city is the main contributor of economy for the state in many sectors like the Port, industries, minerals, fishing, IT and Tourism.
–> Ideal time to visit Vizag are winters, October-March, ideally December & January. Summers are very humid due to its coastal location.
For staying I would recommend staying near to Beach Road. We stayed at “Mansa Homes” which is just opposite to VUDA park and near to the main beach. It’s not a hotel but a service apartment with decent AC rooms, common dining area, all required basic stuff and a dedicated caretaker.
I would recommend to book a cab for whole day for visiting all these places.
You can go with following plan, 3-4 day would be better to cover all places in Vizag and nearby places, including Araku Valley & Borra Caves.
–> Day 1: South Vizag
– RK Beach (or Rama Krishna beach) is the most popular beach within the city along the beach road.
– Mathsya Darshini (Aquarium)
– INS Kursura Submarine Museum
– Fishing Harbour
– Dolphins Nose Light House
– Yarada Beach – 3.7kms (from Light house)
–> Day 2: Araku valley from Vizag is around 115 & 131 kms via road & Railway respectively, and takes around 3-4 Hrs by road & train (one way) resp. Train journey being the most beautiful and scenic option which takes you through the lush green mountains and valleys, passing through around 80 bridges and around 50 tunnels. You need to take the Vishakhapatnam-Kirandul passenger train (58501, VSKP KRDL PASS) starts at 07:05am from Vizag Rly Station and reaches Araku at 11:05am. The same train in evening starts at 04:10pm and reaches back to Vizag at 08:50pm. You can either book tickets in advance or get from the Rly Ticket window 30 mins prior to departure. So you would need whole day to explore the place including nearby places, like Borra Caves & waterfalls.
– Borra Caves
– Katiki Waterfall
– Galikonda view point
– Coffee plantation museum
– Tribal museum
– Padmapuram Botanical Garden/Park
– Dumbriguda Chaparai Waterfalls
–> Day 3: North Vizag
– Simhachalam Lord Narasimha Temple
– Simhachalam Koneru
– Kailashgiri – Hill Park, ropeway/roadway
– Tenneti Park Beach
– Indira Gandhi Zoological Park
– Rishikonda beach
–> Day 4
– VUDA Park
– Bavikonda & Thotlakonda (Buddhist heritage sites)
– Bheemili, 23km beach drive from Vizag to Bheemili